Blackwood Rugby Football Club is a Welsh rugby union team. Blackwood RFC was established in Blackwood in 1889 and in 1918 gained the status of membership of the Welsh Rugby Union. They play their home games at Glan-Yr-Afon Park. Blackwood RFC are a feeder club for Newport Gwent Dragons.
History and development
In the 1960's the club purchased an old police station and converted it for use as a clubhouse.
In 1997 a new 800-seater stand was constructed with the capital coming from match sponsorship and donations.
In 1998 Blackwood RFC purchased approximately one and a half acres of land adjacent to its playing field at Glan-Yr-Afon from British Gas. This purchase also included an on site disused gas service centre. This property was purchased with the full support of the WRU.
In 2002 the club undertook a renovation of the gas service centre. The old clubhouse in Hall Street was closed in the May of 2003 with the focus of developing a new clubhouse for the start of the 2003 season. The new clubhouse opened for the start of the new season in September 2003.
Today, Blackwood RFC plays in the Welsh Rugby Union, Divison One East League.
Tel: 01495 223206