Caldey Island (Welsh: Ynys Bŷr) lies south of Tenby in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The island is home to a small village, but is best known for its monastery. Cadley Island is separated from the mainland by the Caldey Sound which is 1km to 2km wide, between Caldey Island and the coast of Pembrokeshire. A ferry service from Tenby crosses the Sound during spring and summer.
A Celtic monastery was founded on the island in the sixth century, and a Benedictine foundation existed from 1136 until 1536, and again from 1906. The present monastery is Reformed Cistercian.
Attractions on Caldey include a Norman chapel, a twelfth century church, the sixth century Ogham cross, the twentieth century monastery and a lighthouse, built in 1828.
Boats sail to the island from Tenby during the summer months. The principal income for the island is tourism, with perfume and chocolate production providing winter incomes. The Island also provides a spiritual retreat throughout the year.
The Island's name 'Caldey' comes from the Viking Name Keld-Eye meaning Cold island.
For more information see: http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/