Llangrannog (otherwise Llangranog) is a small coastal village in Ceredigion, Wales. According to the UK Census 2001, the population of Llangrannog was 772 people. Also, the census reveals that 51.8% of the population speak Welsh fluently, with the highest percentage of speakers being in the 15-19 age group, where 100% are able to speak Welsh.
It lies in the narrow valley of the little river Hawen, which falls as a waterfall in the middle of the village.
The earliest parts of the village (the "church village") lie above the waterfall hidden by a twist of the valley from view from the sea. This protected them from the attention of sea maurauders, the Vikings and the Irish. After the mid-eighteenth century the sea became safer and a "beach village" and small seaport developed. By 1825 Llangrannog commercial activity was largely concerned with the sea, including the shipment of coal. A number of ships were built on the sands, the largest the "Ann Catherine" a brig of 211 tons. The last developments, in the 1860's, were the "ribbon village" which connected the beach and church villages; and extension of the beach village on the southern slope of the valley. Partly this accommodated the increasing local population, but also for the beginnings of tourism.
The economy is now dominated by tourism. By the beach there is a shop; two pubs (Y Llong � the Ship; and the Pentre arms), a cafe (The Patio Cafe, which serves home made ice creams) and a snack bar. The summer camp (Gwersyll) of the Urdd is nearby.
According to legend Carreg Bica (Bica's rock), a large sea-weathered stack of Ordovician rock on the beach, is the tooth of the giant Bica who lived in the Ceredigion area, and was forced to spit his tooth onto the beach following a bad toothache. In some versions of the story Bica has been romanised as Neptune.
Edward Elgar once spent a holiday in Llangrannog.