Merthyr RFC are a Welsh rugby union club based in Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. They are the presently members of the Welsh Rugby Union playing in the Divison 1 West League.
The first recorded rugby game involving Merthyr was on 25th November 1876 against a side from Brecon. The result is believed to have been a draw. Merthyr RFC are recognised as on of the 12 clubs present on 12th April 1881 for the formation of the Welsh Rugby Union.
During these early years Merthyr RFC played at the Plymouth Ground at Pentrebach and were known as Merthyr Alexandra.
Following the First World War the Club played at Gwynnes Field, Cefn Coed and also at Penydarren Park although during World War 2 there was very little Rugby played in Merthyr, a situation reflected throught Wales. However in 1948 a meeting governed by Cyril Williams, Monty Warrington and Ron Gethin was enthusiastically supported and the game of Rugby Union returned to Merthyr Tydfil. The club played out of Dix�s field, Danydarren, and then on to Glyndyrus field Abercanaid, before moving to the current ground, The Wern in Ynysfach in 1958.
September 1960 saw the opening of the New Clubhouse in Ynysfach and two years later Merthyr Youth were formed.
Merthyr RFC played Amateur District Rugby in the Rhondda and East Glamorgan District until they defeated Mold RFC at Abercynon to secure promotion and entry to the Fifth Divison of the Heineken League under the Captaincy of Craig Dummett in 1993/4. Promotion immediately followed from the fifth to the fourth,then the third to the first in successive years (The two division jump caused by WRU restructuring of the league). Merthyr remained in the First Division for 6 seasons before being relegated to Division 2 following a players� strike. It took three seasons to achieve promotion back to the First Division.
Notable former players
Tel: 01685 722999