Mumbles Lighthouse Mumbles Lighthouse (built in 1794) is a lighthouse located in Mumbles, near Swansea. The structure, which sits on the outer of two islands off Mumbles Head, is clearly visible from any point along the five mile sweep of Swansea Bay. Along with the nearby lifeboat station, it is the most photographed landmark in the village.
The tower has two tiers and initially two open coal fire lights were displayed. These open coal fire lights were difficult to maintain and were soon replaced by a single oil powered light within a cast iron lantern.
History of the Lantern
In 1860, the oil powered light was upgraded to a dioptric light and the fort that surrounds the tower was built by the War Department.
In 1905, an occulting mechanism, where the light was made to flash, was fitted. This was partially automated in 1934.
By 1977, the cast iron lantern had deteriorated beyond repair and was removed. A different lantern was added in 1987.
In 1995, the main light was replaced and an array of solar panels and emergency monitoring equipment were added..
All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2010 Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube. If you do spot a mistake, please let us know. Email:[email protected]