Newport Market Newport Market (also known as Newport Provisions Market) is a traditional Victorian indoor market, built in 1854 in Newport, South Wales.
It is an early example of a large-span cast iron-frame building featuring a glass-filled barrel roof. The foundations for the present office buildings and tower at the Dock Street end were laid on September 13, 1887 and they were opened by the then Mayor of Newport Henry Faulkner on May 1, 1889. An extension at the High Street end was opened by Mayor Robert Frank Allen on November 25, 1987. It is a Grade II-Listed building situated in the city centre, owned and operated by Newport City Council.
The market houses over 100 stalls over two floors offering a variety of high-quality fresh produce and stock. Stalls include a first-class butchers, greengrocers, a fishmonger, a delicatessen, a traditional confectioner's stall as well as an eclectic selection of Art and Craft stalls, coffee shops and hairdressers upstairs. The market also houses a Business Centre on the upper floors.
Entrances to the market are located in Upper Dock Street (Market Square), High Street, Market Street and Griffin Street.
All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2010 Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube. If you do spot a mistake, please let us know. Email:[email protected]