Tredegar House in Newport, set in a beautiful 90 acre (360,000 m�) park, is a 17th century Charles II mansion in Britain. The earliest surviving part of the building dates back to the early 1500s. For over five hundred years, it was home to one of the greatest of Welsh families, the Morgans - later Lords Tredegar - until they left in 1951. The house was then home to St. Joseph's R.C. Girls' School (now a mixed-sex school in Duffryn) until it was bought by the council in 1974, giving rise to its present status as the grandest council house in Britain.