University Hospital of Wales/Heath Hospital
University Hospital of Wales (referred to locally as "the Heath" or UHW), opened in November 1971, is a major 1000-bed hospital situated in the inner city district of Heath in Cardiff, Wales. UHW is the third largest University Hospital in the UK and the largest hospital in Wales, providing 24 hour Accident & Emergency and various other specialist departments.
The hospital is split into 3 Blocks (A, B + C Block). It is also a teaching hospital of Cardiff University School of Medicine.
In January 2009, it was announced that the BBC is to broadcast a documentary series at the hospital, filmed in August 2008.
In 2005, a million pound project by base structures was completed, a specially designed walkway which joins one part of the hospital to the other.
The Hospital also boasts its large Concourse which is situated at the main entrance of the Hospital. It contains a reception and many retail shops for use by visitors, staff and patients of the Hospital. It also contains many specialist services for use by patients and their families.
The University Hospital Of Wales is also home to Radio Glamorgan, which broadcasts via Patientline on Channel 1.
2007 marks the station's 40th birthday & many events have been organised to celebrate.
Radio Glamorgan provides music & entertainment to staff, visitors and most importantly patients of the UHW 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Cardiff Bus operate the following bus services to the hospital:
- 1 to Roath, Penylan, Tremorfa, Splott & City Centre
- 2 to Canton, Leckwith, Grangetown, Cardiff Bay & City Centre
- 8 to City Centre & Cardiff Bay
- 9/9A to City Centre, Grangetown & International Sports Village
- 51 to Cathays & City Centre - which continues as 95 to Dinas Powys, Llandough & Barry
- 53 to Cyncoed, Pentwyn, Llanedeyrn & Penylan
- 85 to Thornhill, Lisvane & Llanishen
- 86 to Llanishen & Lisvane
- 101/102 to Fairwater, Pentrebane & Ely
- 101/102 to Roath, Penylan, St Mellons & Llanrumney
Veolia Transport Cymru operate services:
Stagecoach in South Wales operate services: